Thursday, March 17, 2011

Big Show, Little Bar

by Jem

This is an edited version of an email I just sent a friend a moment ago and I conceitedly decided I liked the way I worded some of it and wanted to share some thoughts about the "little guys" in the scene. This has been edited to protect the innocent.

"I get it why successful local bands don't want to play smaller venues, but I'm a sucker for a little venue that really wants to do original music but can't get any originals to play there because there except their grandma's cousin's dog's brother's owner to play. And he sucks.

I'm hoping to bring bands in that have earned their keep above and beyond to make to smaller up and comers excited about playing a show that wouldn't be their dream venue because that club won't pay attention to them yet. If they can see that their favorite local band played there then maybe it will raise their enthusiasm a bit.

There is also the stigma that Nashville bands are stuck up and pretentious. Helping out the smaller bars and the smaller bands is certainly a way to help abolish that a bit. Not that some people haven't earned their rights to be proud (in some cases a bit too much). And if you know me I am a grand stander of change for all musicians who have worked their ass off to make good music and are under-appreciated no matter their attitude or perception of themselves or other musicians. I'm just truly sick of bad music and people's unwavering laziness to do anything more than turn a knob on a radio."

That being said people, I love you all and I am looking to start a show series called "Big Show, Little Bar" at least at one small local venue. Maybe more? If any of our stars of the scene would like to play, stop laughing and shoot me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment